I got my two Falcons done up with some spiffy new engines tonight. I’m pretty happy with the overall result, and anyone with a color printer and an Xacto knife can recreate the effect quite easily!
Took much more time in Pixelmator than anything, as I chose to do up my own version of the engine glow graphics for printing and gluing rather than using the designs shown off on the old Metal Bikini article. Check out my take on it below:
Printing a paper engine is a very simple but elegant solution for improving the flat grey swipe of paint on the pre-painted model. Doing this effect by hand would be a nightmare.
The cockpits were done as well, as they were sloppy on the factory job. Black, blended up to P3 Coal Black, then a subtle highlight with Coal Black mixed with Citadel Thunderhawk Blue. You can barely notice it, but it’s definitely neater and holds better if you do look closely. As always, finish with a little brush on varnish (‘Ardcoat) for shine.
For the engine glow itself, I’m attaching a .PNG version of the image below. Assuming it prints correctly in 300 dpi, it should measure 3x75mm per strip. Cut it with an Xacto knife and a ruler, leaving as small a border of white as humanly possible, and then slide it into place.
You may need to gently push it into the recessed area — I used a plastic coated paperclip to do so. Once it’s in place and aligned properly (some fiddling around with tweezers will be necessary), lift up the corners and brush on a small amount of white glue to hold it down. Then just press the flap of paper back down with your paperclip, and it’s done.
Note: it’s a fairly tight friction fit, so you don’t need or want much glue at all. Just barely enough to tack it down.
That’s about it, really. It’s rather straight forward, just as the Metal Bikini article says. And it’s so much faster when you don’t make the graphic yourself… Let me know what you think of my take on the Millennium Falcon engine design! 🙂